Volunteers play an essential role in keeping our clubs thriving across Scotland and without their dedication to older people we simply wouldn’t be able to run our community clubs. We have a variety of roles available and here’s a brief taster of what you can help us to do:
· Club sessions are held once a week so are ideal if you would like a regular volunteering opportunity
· Our volunteers love talking about their favourite teams, sporting greats or special sporting moments and engaging members to share their stories
· Volunteering is an opportunity to engage with people of all ages and backgrounds, especially older people – many of whom will be living with a condition such as dementia or low mood
· Our volunteers learn new and unique skills, through attending training sessions and while volunteering
· You will work as part of a small team – a great opportunity to meet and get to know new people
Sporting Memories are a charity and social enterprise that helps older people to reminisce, replay and reconnect through the power of sport and physical activity. Launched in 2011, Sporting Memories supports a wide range of people aged 50-plus, including those living with dementia, living with depression or facing isolation and loneliness to improve their mental and physical wellbeing through our regular club sessions, situated within local communities across England, Scotland and Wales. We are dedicated to bringing older people together with the aim of making a positive difference in their lives by providing them with a welcoming, supportive and structured environment where they can develop confidence to improve their lives for the better.
Experience required: An enjoyment of being with people and supporting your local community. An interest in sport is great but not necessary as it’s about facilitating conversations and creating a fun, sociable environment for older people.
Travel details: Gorebridge Leisure Centre – on bus route 29 and Gorebridge Train Station Dalkeith Rugby Club – on bus route 3 and 48
Minimum age: 18
Expenses paid: Yes
Expenses details: Mileage is reimbursed at 40p per mile per by submission of monthly expense form.
Support: Named Contact For Volunteer
This opportunity is also advertised across Midlothian.