Volunteering Matters are a national volunteering charity. We are looking "Family Support/Mentor" Volunteers in the City of Edinburgh, who can offer practical, social and emotional support to a local family in need.
Our Family Supporters programme recruits, trains and supports volunteers, matching them 1:1 with parents and families facing a range of life challenges and barriers. Volunteers help families, spending 1:1 time together on a personalised set of goals chosen by the family, for the family.
These goals may including achieving improved living standards, building confidence and soft skills, budgeting, healthier eating, better school life, improving health and wellbeing or introducing parents to community resources, and lots more.
If you have an understanding of the challenges that families are facing and would like to use your life experiences and skills to support others, this could be the role for you!
As a volunteer, you will build a strong relationship based on trust and mutual respect, acting as a friendly face who listens and cares about the family.
We are looking for friendly, non-judgemental, sociable individuals to help organise and run activities for the people that we support in our services. Ideally you are enthusiastic, patient, have a sense of humour, good communication skills and experience of life. We are looking for people who can teach or pass on skills and tailor activities to small groups or individual interests. We are always looking for suggestions and activities that are fun and will add enjoyment to a supported person’s life.
• Help organise and run fun and engaging activities for the people that we support in our services
• Supporting group sessions
• Participate in group activities and help the people we work with to identify personal interests, strengths, skills, and their own potential.
• Leading on activities
• Contribute ideas and attend planning meetings
• Demonstrating life skills to people receiving ongoing support or whose support could be heading towards a close e.g., encouraging them to cook a meal or bake, leading by example.
• Accompany small group outings where appropriate.
• Encouraging our supported people’s sense of belonging and connection
• Building our supported people’s confidence and self esteem
Shetland Women's Aid are looking for women to join us in promoting the safety and wellbeing of women and children in Shetland who are affected by domestic abuse and gender-based violence. SWA is a registered charity funded by local and national grant aid to provide safety planning, counselling, refuge, advice and guidance about housing, finance and legal issues to women. There is also a children and young person's service focused on offering therapy and support to children and young people. The aim for Shetland Women's Aid is 'An equitable society in which women, children and young people are valued participants, able to determine their own future and are free from all forms of abuse.'
As a trustee you will be instrumental in helping us realise our vision and mission. Part of your role will be to ensure that our day to day operation fulfils our strategic vision.
If you decide to join Shetland Women's Aid, you can make a real difference to the women and children who experience domestic and sexual abuse.